The item referred to is depleted Uranium (DU) and its impact is discussed in a frightening article on the English website of Al Jazeera (see full article).
- the half-life period of depleted uranium is 4.5 billion years.
- an undue number of deformed births have been reported in Iraq
- cases of cancer have skyrocketed
- a number of US service personnel have also been affected, and a huge number from the first Gulf War (remember the Gulf War Syndrome?)
- among the victims is Major Doug Rokke, director of the US army's DU project in 1994-95.
Finally, Kofi Annan has worked up the gumption to get his tongue around the word, 'illegal', to describe a war started in contempt of the UN (in the name of safeguarding UN resolutions, but not seeking a resolution for the War itself).
Will he investigate this atrocity (for if true, that is precisely what it is)?